Peace Lutheran Church Natoma, Kansas
As we close the book on 2011, many will look at 2012 and wonder what it might bring. But for others, there is no time to wonder, because it is time to plan. And indeed, plans abound as we begin a new year. Some are planning for college; others are planning for employment; even vacations plans are starting to take form. Yes, as we look out at the landscape of 2012, we see a wide open year, that barring any unforeseen circumstances; is already being charted out.
As a congregation, the new year of 2012 also holds many opportunities for us. Allow me to share some of what you can expect to see at Peace Lutheran Church in the coming year.
- Setting 4: For the past few years, we have been in a Sunday morning rotation between LSB Setting 1 and Setting 3. These two services allow for you to go into almost any congregation in the LCMS and know exactly what is happening on Sunday morning. But there is another Setting that is also quite popular: Setting 4; some of you may already know it from your travels or from experiences with Hymnal Supplement ’98. This Setting was actually modeled off of The Lutheran Hymnal p. 15 service (our Setting 3). During the season of Epiphany, beginning January 7th, we will use Setting 4 on Sunday morning’s.
- Matins: The Prayer Offices of the Church are truly a treasure, but due to a variety of reasons, they have fallen out of use among many. This year, on the 5th Sunday of the month, (in 2012, the 5th Sunday occurs in January, April, July and September), we will bring back this historic morning office of prayer.
- Technology: The world is an ever shrinking place, and once where things occurring in Natoma were totally unknown to those outside of the area; today people can find out everything in the click of a button. This now allows us, from our corner of the world to reach out beyond our geographical influence to those both near and far. Ideas abound for how we as a congregation, and we as a circuit, can use this technology to reach people not only down the street, but even around the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- March 31 & April 1: Remember these two dates now, because you are going to hear a lot about them in the coming weeks and months. Natoma Lutherans For Life is working to bring Brain Young of Creation Instruction Association to Natoma to speak on Saturday, March 31st about the Pre-Flood World, and then on Sunday, April 1st, in Adult Bible Class on Creation Evangelism. Many people, indeed many churches, are confused about the contradictions between what the Bible teaches and what is taught in many classrooms about the origins of the world. Brian Young is an energetic and passionate speaker who will speak on the importance of Genesis 1-11 and why it matters today. PLEASE mark these two dates on your calendars now, and bring your friends, neighbors, children and grandchildren for these presentations.
- Word and Sacrament: This is of course not new, nor is it even a change, but as always you can expect to hear the Gospel preached and the Sacraments rightly administered as we once again journey from Bethlehem to Calvary and from the manger to the cross; hearing the promises of Jesus spoken to us.
2012 looks to be an exciting year as opportunities abound. But as always, we leave these plans, as we do all things, in the hands of God.
God Bless! Pastor Schmidt