First Lutheran Church Plainville, Kansas
Peace Lutheran Church Natoma, Kansas
2017 marks the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and there will be no shortage of special events related to it. A PBS special on Martin Luther will be shown; Concordia Publishing House and Lutheran Hour Ministries are each producing Bible studies and books and other material all related to the big celebration. There are also special worship services and events in the works across the country and around the world.
With so much going on, it is easy to get lost in all of the excitement, and it is even easier to scratch your head when you hear certain names and places and wonder who and what they are and why they matter. What follows are some resources that will give you a good background of key Reformation figures and places to help you understand much of what is to come.
- Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions – This is the readers edition to the Book of Concord, and in addition to our core documents of the faith (outside of the Bible), it also contains a whole host of resources and images to help understand the Reformation. (CPH item #531154)
- Luther The Reformer: The Story of the Man and His Career by James Kittelson – This is an excellent biography of Martin Luther, covering his entire life and hitting the key events and figures of the Reformation. (available on Amazon)
- Inside the Reformation – A short and colorful workbook that offers a timeline of events during the Reformation, as well as a listing of important figures. (CPH item #124392)
- Martin Luther Day by Day – a year-long devotional book that offers a Bible verse and a short reading from the writings of Luther related to the Scripture text. (CPH item #124439)
- Reading the Psalms with Luther – All 150 Psalms with a prayer and devotional writing from Martin Luther. (CPH item #124304)
- Luther: Echoes of the Hammer & Katie Luther: Mother of the Reformation – Great for kids, these 2 engaging comic books give teens a good overview of the life and times of Martin & Katie Luther. (CPH item #562478 for Martin and #562511 for Katie)
- Treasury of Daily Prayer – a daily devotional that includes a Psalm, 2 Scripture readings, and a writing by the Church Fathers for every day of the year. What better way to celebrate the Reformation than to engage with the gift of the Reformation – the Scriptures. (CPH item #124318)
- Luther’s Works – Luther wrote a LOT, on a LOT of different topics. Those writings have been translated into English and compiled in over 60 volumes that are organized according to topics. (scan the CPH website or catalog for the topic that interests you)
- www.issuesetc.org – Not a book, but a Lutheran podcast that has a multitude of interviews on the life of Luther and other topics regarding the Reformation.
These are all excellent resources that can introduce you to the life of Martin Luther and to the events that surround the Reformation. So many things happened between 1517 and 1580 that it is hard to grasp the full flow of events and people, not to mention world events that all played a role. Hopefully these resources will give you a strong foundation so that you may delve deeper into the anniversaries that we will be celebrating in the coming year.
God Bless! Pastor Schmidt